Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: The School Library and Me in the Global Learning Community
In this session, presenters introduce definitions of equity, diversity, and inclusion. Presenters provide an overview of the consequences of implicit bias and the impact of microaggressions and outline strategies for addressing specific actions that may create uncomfortable spaces for black, indigenous, and people of color. They conclude the session by considering how collections, instructional plans, summer reading, policies, and other programming decisions can be used to create inclusive and joyful learning spaces for all learners.
- Mary Keeling, Supervisor, Library Media Services, Newport News Public Schools
- Michelle Easley, Media Services, Fulton County Schools
- Klaudia Janek, School Librarian, International Academy
- Maegen Rose, Middle School Librarian, Rye Country Day School
- Rachel Altobelli, Director of Library Services & Instructional Materials, Albuquerque (N.Mex.) Public Schools