A Step-By-Step Guide to Hybrid Programming
This is a recording of a live webinar. To access the recording, click on the "Register" button to be taken to a separate webpage. There are also additional resources and a link to the PowerPoint slides from the presentation below.
Using two examples from the Boston Public Library’s recent hybrid programming, the presenters will walk through the logistical details to consider when planning hybrid programs. The many decisions to make about staff roles and responsibilities, registration, managing the online and in-person audience engagement, and leveraging AV and technology, will be outlined and discussed.
Participants will learn the following:
- How to manage the logistical elements for two different hybrid program setups
- How to prepare to keep the in-person and online audiences engaged
- Best practices gleaned from the having transitioned from in-person programs to all virtual programs during the COVID-19 lockdown period and then to hybrid programs when the library reopened
- Copy of PowerPoint Slides
- Chat Transcript
- OBS Free Online Tutorial
- Technology & Instructions for Example Hybrid Program
- Videos of partner signature hybrid programs with local public station, GBH (Forum Network) -- 2022 Lowell Series. (The tech and post production video responsibilities for each of the programs in the series have been shared by the BPL's AV team and the GBH Forum Network team).
- Bookseller page at Trident for a signature program. (This link will be shared in the chat out to attendees of the hybrid program and a bookseller from Trident will be on-site for the in-person attendees).
Gianna C. Gifford
Chief of Adult Library Services
Boston Public Library
Gianna Gifford is the Chief of Adult Library Services at the Boston Public Library, where she has worked since 2012. She manages several dynamic teams at the BPL, including: Community Learning, Adult Programs, the Kirstein Business Library & Innovation Center, and the Social Work/Peer Navigator program. Gianna also oversees reference and research services across the BPL library system. Before coming to BPL, Gianna enjoyed 20 years of service in the Beatley Library at Simmons University in Boston, MA, where she headed up the Career Resources Library, and later worked as the Social Work Librarian for the faculty and students of Simmons University's School of Social Work. Gianna has a BA in Politics & Religion from Mount Holyoke College, a MA in Gender & Cultural Studies and a MSLIS from Simmons University.
Programs Librarian – Central Library
Boston Public Library
Kristin Motte is an adult programs
librarian at the Central Library of the Boston Public Library a role she has
been in since 2019, beginning just eight months before the programming world changed
forever! Prior to joining Gianna Gifford’s team at the Central Library,
Kristin began her BPL career as the generalist librarian at the Mattapan Branch
for two and a half years. Before taking the leap to a large urban public
library system, Kristin served for over 20 years in a variety of reference
& instruction and administrative roles in small academic libraries.
Kristin has a B.A. in Literature from SUNY Purchase and an MS(LIS) from Simmons.
Funding for this webinar has been provided by the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) as part of the American Rescue Plan: Humanities Organization Grant.
Both ALA members and non-members can view the recording of the webinar. If you are a member, click on the "Register" button, and log into your ALA account to be taken to the recording. If you are not a member, please click on the "Register" button, scroll down under the "Login" button and create a new account by clicking on "Don't yet have an ALA account? Make one!"