Politics & Partnerships
This course provides students with the ability to identify social/political/economic issues that may affect the library, the populations it services, or its services. Students will be able to develop relationships with people who can exercise influence in federal, state, or local decisions. Understand the role of and work effectively with key constituents, the library board and library friends and/or foundation. Work effectively with the media. Lobby for federal, state, and local initiatives that support the library’s vision, mission, and goals
- Gains a general understanding of the strategies involved in planning for successful political action, including understanding the demography and culture of your local service area.
- Identifies key players in decision-making at all levels for political effectiveness.
- Develops skills to build coalitions.
- Discerns how local decisions are made.
- Develops team planning skills with local Boards and Commissions.
- Develops political advocacy skills.
- Understands the process and impact of political opinion polling and campaigning.
- Develops skills in handling the media effectively.
- Develops skills in negotiation and compromise.
- Develops and understands the role of lobbyists and how to use them effectively at the local, state and federal levels.
- Gains an understanding of how to assess current local political issues, including the role of newspaper editors and editorial boards.
- Develops political skills in working with various support groups and community leaders, which at times can have conflicting interests with Boards and Commissions.
- Learns how to develop support groups, including recruitment, tactics and legal issues.
- Becomes knowledgeable of the various governance and legal structures of Boards and Commissions and support groups.
- Prepares useful education materials that may assist others with understanding and assessing the political process.
- Gains knowledge of federal, state and local statutes, ordinances and resolutions and their impact on local decision-making.
- Outlines recommendations for an action plan.