On-Demand Webinar: Transgender People in Libraries Webinar Series (Part One): Working with Transgender Patrons and Colleagues
This webinar is the first in a
two-part series on transgender people in libraries. Register for the full series at its registration page.
An introductory look
at gender and gender identity, this webinar places emphasis on
translating knowledge and awareness into actionable best practices in a
library setting. Attendees will come away with a better grasp of
concepts of gender, gender identity, and pronouns, as well as why it is a
vital topic in our society today. Tips for best practices give
attendees concrete actions they can implement in order to better serve
patrons and colleagues across the spectrum of gender identities in their
- Define conceptual information about gender identity, including: the difference between sex assigned at birth and gender identity, the difference between sexual orientation and gender identity, terminology such as "cisgender" and "transgender," and what pronouns are;
- Articulate why it is important to learn about and incorporate best practices about gender-diverse people into day-to-day operations;
- Recognize and challenge unconscious biases in themselves and others in regard to the way gender and assumptions about gender influence interactions;
- Implement best practices such as: including pronouns in introductions, practicing the use of different pronouns, recognizing and addressing problematic behaviors such as misgendering; and
- Create authentically gender-inclusive spaces for employees and patrons alike.
Attend: Administrators and managers seeking best practices in
hiring and retaining trans/gender-diverse employees; library workers at
all levels seeking best practices in working with trans colleagues
and/or serving trans patrons.