Fundamentals of Collection Development and Management 2023 - Session 2.0
This four-week online course addresses the basic components of collection development and management (CDM) in libraries. Complete definition of collection development and collection management:
- Collections policies and budgets as part of library planning
- Collection development (selecting for and building collections)
- Collection management (evaluating and making decisions about existing collections, including decisions about withdrawal, transfer, preservation)
- Collection analysis—why and how to do it
- Outreach, liaison, and marketing
- Trends and some suggestions about the future for collection development and management
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the range of CDM responsibilities and the required skills and competencies.
- List the elements in a collection development policy.
- Write a collection development policy.
- Explain the importance of collection analysis.
- Perform one or more types of analysis.
- Explain outreach and liaison responsibilities and be able to develop a plan to increase your activities in these areas.
Who Should Attend:
This is a fundamentals course that will appeal to anyone interested in the topic with no previous experience.